Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

We are currently accepting application-contracts for summer 2017 and 2017-2018 Academic Year and Spring 2018.

You must complete a housing application-contract and submit with a $200 pre-payment deposit to the Indiana University South Bend Bursar Office.

What are the eligibility requirements to live in campus housing?

To be eligible for on-campus housing, students must be enrolled full-time; meet Indiana University South Bend immunization requirements; and be in good financial and behavioral standing with the University and the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Can I submit the housing application-contract online?

No. To download and print a fillable PDF Application-Contract, click HERE

Application-contracts must be filled out, printed, and submitted with payment to the University Bursar Office. Payments can be made in person at the University Bursar window on the first floor of the Administration Building or sent by mail to:

Bursar Office
Indiana University South Bend
1700 Mishawaka Ave.
P.O. Box 7111
South Bend, IN 46634-7111

How will I know that my application-contract has been processed?

Once the payment is processed, the Bursar Office will forward the application-contract to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. You will receive an email confirmation that your application-contract has been received. Students submitting an academic year application-contract by June 1 will receive assignment and specific move-in information in mid-July.

Back to top

Housing Contract Information

I need to cancel my housing contract. How do I cancel?

Housing contract cancellations must be submitted, in writing, to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Requests may be submitted by email to or to our office at 1735 Titan Drive, South Bend, IN 46613. Residents are responsible for financial obligations as outlined in the terms and conditions of the contract.

I want to live on-campus but do not plan to attend Indiana University South Bend during the spring semester. Is it possible to sign a contract for the fall semester only?

You must sign a housing contract for the Academic year. If you will graduate, are participating in a study abroad or other University-sponsored program, or are academically dismissed from the University, you may request release from your contract. If you will not be an Indiana University South Bend student during the spring semester, review Section G for cancellation fee information. All residents leaving at the end of the fall semester must complete a cancellation request and check-out procedures established by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. If spaces are available in spring semester, new residents will be offered housing for the remainder of the term.

Back to top

Payment and Costs

Will financial aid cover my housing charges?

If you are thinking about living at River Crossing at IUSB a good place to start would be to meet with your Financial Aid Counselor.  The link to the Financial Aid Office’s website is:

How much does it cost to live on-campus?

Current Rates for Spring and Fall

Unit Type Rates
1 person/1 bedroom/1 bath* $4,559 per person, per semester
2 person/2 bedroom/2 bath** $3,647 per person, per semester (bedroom without private bathroom)
2 person/2 bedroom/2 bath** $3,723.50 per person, per semester (bedroom with private bathroom)
4 person/4 bedroom/2 bath*** $3017.50 per person, per semester

*Very limited availability
**Limited availability
***Most new applicants will receive this assignment

Summer Rates

Unit Type Rates
1 person/1 bedroom/1 bath $738 per person, per session (bedroom without private bathroom) $1476 complete summer session.
2 person/2 bedroom/2 bath $814 per person, per session (*bedroom with private bathroom) $1628 complete summer session.
4 person/4 bedroom/2 bath $657 per person, per session. $1314 complete summer session.

How will I be billed for housing charges?

Semester housing charges will be applied to a student’s Bursar Office account at the beginning of each semester and are due and payable according to Bursar Office billing due dates. For information about Bursar’s Office services visit or call 574-520-4253.

Failure to make timely payments may result in contract cancellation and removal from campus housing.

Back to top

Residence and Amenities Information

What types of apartments are available?

There are three types of apartments:

  • One bedroom, One bath
  • Two bedrooms, Two baths
  • Four bedrooms, Two baths

Floor plans and square footage information is available

What utilities are included in the cost?

Heat, air conditioning, water, Internet, and Comcast XFINITY Stream TV service are included.

Are residences furnished?

Yes. Each residence includes the following:

  • Kitchen: Stove/Oven, Microwave, Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Dining peninsula with kitchen stools
  • Living Room: Love seat, Chair, Coffee table, End table, Entertainment unit, Window treatments, Carpeting
  • Each Bedroom: Twin Mattress (extra-long 80”) and Bed Frame, Desk and Hutch, Desk Chair, Dresser with lockable drawer, Closet, Window blinds, Carpeting
  • Bathroom: Mirror, Shower Rod

What will I need to bring?

Each resident must provide kitchen items, such as dishes, cookware, small appliances and other amenities such as sheets and towels.

Will I need to bring a shower curtain and shower hooks?

Yes. Shower rods are provided, but residents will need to provide shower curtains and hooks.

What is the bed mattress size?

Residence hall mattresses are twin extra long (36” x 80”). Bed linens are not provided.

What kind of cable TV is available?

Indiana University South Bend provides cable television for each suite living room and bedroom at no additional charge. Residents must provide coaxial cables.

Do I need a car to get to campus?

No. The main campus, classes, the Schurz Library and the Student Activities Center are within a short walk across the pedestrian bridge.

Is parking available?

Residents must register vehicles with Parking Services. On-campus residents are assigned to Lot R. The permit allows 24-hour parking at River Crossing Campus Housing and also allows residents to park on the main campus weekdays between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. and anytime on weekends. For more information, contact Parking Services at 574-520-5528.

Are meal plans available?

No. Residents are responsible for their own meals. Each apartment includes a kitchen. Some dining services are available on campus - the Grille is located in the Administration Building, the Courtside Café is in the Student Activities Center, and there is a café in Northside Hall. Menu items include freshly made hamburgers, baked potatoes, salads, sandwiches, soups, wraps, smoothies and much more.

Can I connect to the Internet from my apartment/bedroom?

All residences have Internet service provided by the Indiana University South Bend network. Each bedroom has an Ethernet port and all buildings have wireless access.

Visit or contact the Indiana University South Bend Help Desk at 574-520-5555 for more information. Residents are responsible for providing network cables.

Can I remove furnishings from my room or suite?

No. All University-provided furnishing must remain fully-assembled and in the suite or room.

Back to top

Roommates and Guests

Is family housing available?

River Crossing Campus Housing is for single students only.

Can I request a specific roommate?

Yes. You may request a roommate on your housing application-contract form. Roommate requests will be considered, but not guaranteed. Roommate requests received after June 1 - fall applications, or after November 1 - spring applications cannot be honored. If you don’t have a roommate, we will randomly assign you with another student.

Why didn’t I get my requested roommate?

It may not have been a mutual request or your requested roommate may not have a signed application-contract at the time your assignment was made.

Can students choose to share a one bedroom apartment with another student to help with the cost?

No. Each bedroom is single occupancy. A one bedroom apartment can house only one student, a two bedroom apartment can house only two students and a four bedroom apartment can house only four students.

Housing rates are per student, per semester, and each student must sign an individual housing contract. Cohabitation or subletting is strictly prohibited.

Is campus housing co-ed?

Buildings are co-ed but apartments are single-gender and assigned according to biological sex.

What can I do if I have roommate problems?

The Office of Housing and Residence Life encourages open communication between residents and roommates. Your Resident Assistant is an excellent resource who can assist with roommate mediation.

How do I request a room change?

Room change request forms are available in the Office of Housing and Residence Life at the end of the 3rd week of the semester. Resident-initiated room changes are subject to approval by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. An administrative charge is assessed for resident-initiated room changes.

Back to top

General Information

Are there handicapped accessible suites?

Yes, ADA compliant apartments are available. If you have a physical disability, chronic illness or other condition that significantly limits a major life activity, submit your request to the Office of Disability Support Services.

What is in the Community Building?

The Community Building has a coin-operated laundry, mailboxes, and vending machines, study rooms, computer lab and a Great Hall with large screen television. The Office of Housing and Residence Life is located in the Community Building.

What fitness and recreational activities is available on-campus?

Students may participate in a number of organized recreational sports programs at the Student Activities Center. The large 100,000 square foot fitness center has a weight room, a basketball court, racquetball courts, aerobics room, walking and running track, and a ping pong and pool table area. In addition, campus housing includes recreational fields, walking paths and bicycle trails.

Can I take a tour?

Yes. 2-bedroom and 4-bedroom model apartments and the Community Building are available for tours. For more information, visit or contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Do I need to clean my suite and room?

Residents are responsible for cleaning rooms and their apartments. Vacuum cleaners are available for check-out at the Community Building front desk. We encourage you to clean your room on a regular basis. Housing and Residence Life and Facilities Management staff will conduct health and safety inspections and residents will be asked to correct health and safety violations.

Is phone service available in campus housing?

Apartments are not equipped with land-line phones. Hallway and Community Building phones may be used to access local, campus and emergency numbers.

What is the Office of Housing and Residence Life?

The Office of Housing and Residence Life strives to provide exceptional services and programs in a comfortable, safe and supportive living environment that fosters student learning and development within an inclusive community. The office is responsible for housing contracts and assignments, roommate mediation, Residence policies and resident conduct, maintenance reporting, and programming events. The staff includes full time professional staff members, Resident Assistants and Community Building desk staff.

Back to top


Where can I find information about Residence policies?

Visit the policies page.

Are there weekday or weekend curfews?

No, however residents are expected to be respectful of roommates and neighbors.

Are pets allowed?

No. Only non-carnivorous fish in a 10-gallon or less fish tank and service animals are permitted.

NOTE: Service animals must be approved through the Office of Disability Support Services and the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Student must meet with Director/Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life prior to review Guidelines for Maintaining a Service Animal Within the Residential Housing Community.

Is smoking allowed in campus housing?

No. Indiana University South Bend is a tobacco-free campus. All tobacco products are prohibited on campus.

What is the policy regarding alcohol?

Alcohol is prohibited on the Indiana University South Bend campus, including campus housing.

Do I have to live in campus housing?

No one is required to live in campus housing.

Can I stay in my room/suite over breaks?

Campus housing remains open during Thanksgiving and spring breaks. Continuing residents who are registered for the spring semester may request winter break housing. Residents must be in good financial and behavioral standing and register with the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Back to top

Security and Wellness

How safe is campus housing?

Indiana University South Bend University Police are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Resident Assistants live on-site. Several emergency telephones are available throughout campus. Resident access is limited to individual buildings and suites. In addition, each bedroom has a separate keyed entry.

Is there a campus escort program?

The University Police department provides safety escorts to vehicles or campus buildings 24 hours a day by calling 574-520-4239.

Do I need to purchase property insurance?

The University assumes no responsibility for any accident, injury, loss or damage to persons, nor any theft, loss or damage to personal belongings in or on campus property. Residents should confirm family homeowner policy information and/or obtain insurance to cover personal property.

Where can I go if I am ill?

Residents who are injured or ill can visit the Health and Wellness Center, Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Appointments are preferred and can be scheduled by calling 574-520-5557. For emergencies, call 911.

Back to top