Beginning Fall 2016, undergraduate students enrolled at all Indiana University campuses, including IU South Bend, will pay one rate for their basic tuition when taking between 12 credits and 18 credits. Banded tuition is designed to help students graduate in four years and reduce the cost of their education. Banded tuition has been in place at Indiana University Bloomington for more than 20 years and is also used at Purdue University-West Lafayette, Ball State University, Indiana State University, and other colleges and universities.
The banded tuition rate for IU South Bend has been set at the 15 credit hour level for a tuition cost of approximately $3,240 per semester for undergraduate Indiana resident students taking 12 to 18 credits. This does not include fees and other costs which can be found in detail at The Office of the Bursar Website. Actual cost of attendance can vary by student, based on student choice and academic program.
Undergraduate resident students who enroll in fewer than 12 hours will continue to pay the per credit hour rate of $215.92 for tuition. Students enrolled in 19 or more credit hours will pay the banded tuition rate up to 18 credit hours plus the per credit tuition rate of $215.92 for each credit over 18.
The per credit hour tuition rate for undergraduate nonresident students in Fall 2016 will be $602.93 and the banded tuition rate (12 to 18 credits) will be $9,045. There is no banded tuition for graduate students. The banded tuition rates apply only during the fall and spring semesters. The per credit hour rates will apply during the summer semester.
Advantages of Banded Tuition for Students
- Most degree programs require that students enroll in an average of 15 credit hours per semester to graduate in the traditional eight semesters.
- Students who take advantage of banded tuition and enroll in 15 or more credits per semester will graduate in four years, which eliminates the additional expenses of a fifth or sixth year of college. Banded tuition rates allow full-time undergraduate students to take more credit hours each fall and spring semesters and not be charged an additional amount.
- Banded tuition makes the cost of attendance more predictable and understandable.
- Banded tuition helps students and families plan better financially, knowing tuition rates for full-time enrollment in advance.
- Banded tuition permits students to explore an area of interest by allowing them to enroll in a course without having to worry about the additional cost of the added course. Staff members in Enrollment Services and Academic Advisors at IU South Bend are prepared to help students find the best way to finance their education and keep loan debt under control.
Long-Term Cost Savings
- On-time graduation means a reduction in room, board, transportation and other college-related expenses for students and their families, and may also reduce student loan debt.
- On-time graduation will allow students to move into the job market or professional and graduate schools sooner. Earlier entry into the market could result in earning one or two years of additional income over the span of a career.
- Students who accelerate their programs and take more than 15 credit hours each semester have the opportunity to pursue a minor or certificate at no additional cost.